BOMB SCARE Secret Service probing threat near White House

The Secret Service has cleared part of the White House grounds to investigate a suspicious bag after the man carrying it claimed to have a bomb, a Secret Service source tells Fox News.

The source said the man was outside the fence by the White House when he told officers he had a bomb in the bag. Officers apprehended the man, and are now inspecting the bag.

The agency said on Twitter that road closures are in effect and a security perimeter has been established.

The Secret Service said “members of the public & media are being moved to safe a distance.”

Reporters and visitors have been cleared off the North Lawn.

The incident is the latest security episode, including a string of fence-jumpers, in recent weeks.

Most recently, a woman was arrested early Sunday for scaling a fence at the Treasury building after trying something similar at the White House last week.

Fox News’ John Roberts contributed to this report. 

News & Updates


Sign up to get exclusive content, new, updates, store specials & more